Monday, January 2, 2012

"My Grace is Sufficient"


In "The Canticle of the Sun", Francis of Assisi could not sleep or eat because of infestation of mice in his home. The pain became intolerable, and Francis cried out, "Lord, help me in my infirmities so that I may have the strength to bear them patiently!" (32). A voice answered Francis telling him to be glad in tribulation because he would be a part of a great kingdom in the future.
I must admit that my background hears this story and cries out "THE LORD IS TALKING TO HIM OUT LOUD AFTER THE BIBLE IS COMPLETE? THAT CANNOT BE TRUE!" However, who is to doubt a godly Christian brother's account if it is not heretical?
This story reminds me of Paul's writings. Paul had a "thorn in the flesh" and prayed mightily that God would remove it, but God said to Paul, "my grace is sufficient" and left the infirmity. Many times, God's grace and goodness shines brighter in trials and tribulations, as we see in the lives of Francis and the Apostle Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment