Thursday, January 12, 2012

Gotta love the Sixties!

I believe we all covered most of the main points yesterday in our discussion. However, I personally felt the lack of being able to see the difference between modernism and post-modernism. Most of the changes that occurred happened when I was too young to notice the difference. I can now theorize about what the differences are but pragmatically I really don’t remember and have absolutely no knowledge of what it was like before “my time.” That being said, I found it very interesting that both Best and Williams stated that Sally’s “radical” view was not radical at all and was actually very similar to what happened in the 1960s “when virtually every sense, conviction, and passion could be illustrated in gesture, metaphor, sit-in, teach-in, walk-on, an street art. What was missing then seems missing in emerging worship: simplicity, directness, and sparseness.” (235) Williams wrote, “Her proposals for the deconstruction and reconstruction of worship sound radical. In fact, virtually all tried in the late 1960s and early 1970s as mainline churches felt the crush of counterculture and the new winds of liturgical renewal.” (246) Williams goes on to say that these changes were brought about because of culture and changed as soon as culture moved on. He also wrote that the 60s movement was shallow in theology, history, and constantly tented to the bizarre. I get the feeling like the 60s was the same story in that the church conformed to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment