Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Life Support



John Newton, what a dear man and dear brother in Christ! I was again struck by such a great love that he had for William Cooper as he started the preface to the Olney Hymns. What drives a man like him to be such a loving man, both of God and of men? "The views I have received of the doctrines of grace are essential to my peace; I could not live comfortably a day, or an hour, without them. I likewise believe, yea, so far as my poor attainments warrant me to speak, I know them to be friendly to holiness, and to have a direct influence in producing and maintaining a gospel conversation; and therefore I must not be ashamed of them." (148) Oh that my life would one day reflect the dire need of the Gospel for every day life that John Newton expressed, that every day, even every hour, would be guided by the Divine Life Support, Jesus Christ and His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment