Tuesday, January 10, 2012

There's a Reason

If I had not conceived a different design from all that have gone before me in this work, I had never attempted a service so full of labour. (pg. 121)

You know when you sing a song and wonder why the author chose to do it in that way or why they chose those particular words. Well, if it is a text by Watts you can be assured there was a reason. I’m not sure I completely agree with all of his reasons for why he does things the way he does but for me what is so impressive is the thought that goes behind every word. I appreciate this more when I contrast it to how I feel so many modern songs are written which is often well I have a free afternoon why not write a song. I’m not saying that’s wrong but I definitely appreciate the work and effort that Watts puts into every text.

No comments:

Post a Comment